Data and Reports on the Behavioral Health Initiative
As a part of the Older Adult Behavioral Health Initiative (Behavioral Health Initiative) a team of researchers from Portland State University’s Institute on Aging is contracted by the Oregon Health Authority to evaluate progress in achieving the goals of the Initiative, with one component involving conducting an online survey of stakeholders.
Data summaries are brief reports that highlight notable data findings.
Recommendations for Policy Makers
These recommendations are based on findings from the evaluation of the Behavioral Health Initiative.
Integrate behavioral health (OHA) and aging services (DHS) for older adults and people with disabilities with cross system care needs
- Acknowledge shared responsibilities for services by executing MOUs at the state and local levels
- Use “braided” or blended funding strategies so that each agency contributes to the needed array of services
- Prioritize building bridges between local agency leaders and their staff to reduce state agency siloes
Elevate older adults and people with disabilities as a priority population in state-sponsored behavioral health initiatives
- Allocate funding for appropriate services
- Support and invest in a knowledgeable and skilled workforce
- Promote program development to enhance access to services and specialized housing
Increase Medicare literacy and promote structural changes
- Allocate funding for technical assistance for providers
- Educate providers on behavioral health billing codes and alternative strategies
- Advocate for increased reimbursement rates and a larger group of qualified
professionals who can provide billable mental health services for this
Infographics & Factsheets
General Facts on the behavioral health challenges older adults and people with disabilities face in Oregon and the United States.
This factsheet is for behavioral health and aging professionals and provides information about how they can best support older adults experiencing isolation and loneliness.
This factsheet is for behavioral health and aging professionals, and provides information about how behavioral health services can be delivered under Medicare.
The Logic Model for the Behavioral Health Initiative maps out the barriers/gaps, strategies and actions, systems outcomes, and consumer outcomes for the initiative.